Experiencing & Regulating your Emotions • 2m 1s
Learn how to problem solve in an effective way. Refer to the "Problem Solving Worksheet" for more guidance.
Steps for Problem Solving:
1. Describe the PROBLEM?
2. CHECK THE FACTS about the situation to make sure you have the right problem. Redefine the problem if needed to align with the facts.
3. What is a REALISTIC SHORT-TERM GOAL of problem solving the situation? What will indicate that you have made progress in moving towards your goal?
4. BRAINSTORM all solutions: Write out as many solutions and coping strategies that you can. List even solutions or coping strategies that are not ideal options. Don’t evaluate them yet!
5. Which TWO Options seem to be the most likely to meet your goal, have fewer negative consequences, and are actually possible. Then complete the pros and cons for each solution.
6. CHOOSE your best option
7. List the steps to complete the reach your goal using your selected option. Check off the steps as you complete them and describe what happened.
8. Did you achieve your GOAL? If yes, celebrate! Describe what happened.
If not, what got in the way? What are you going to do next? Do you need to try another approach? Is there an obstacle that you need to cope ahead for when you try again?
Up Next in Experiencing & Regulating your Emotions
Watch this video on how to use trouble shooting when emotion regulation skills don't seem to be working.
Quieting Obsessional Thinking: Obsess...
Learn how to quiet obsessional thinking. View the "Quieting Obsessional Thinking Handout" for more guidance.
1. Observe that you are may be having obsessional thinking
2. Label the obsessional thinking as “obsessional thinking.” Say to yourself, “I am having obsessional thoughts.”
3. Observe t...