Learn how to quiet obsessional thinking. View the "Quieting Obsessional Thinking Handout" for more guidance.
1. Observe that you are may be having obsessional thinking
2. Label the obsessional thinking as “obsessional thinking.” Say to yourself, “I am having obsessional thoughts.”
3. Observe the emotion the thinking is bringing up.
4. Validate the emotion.
5. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most intense), rate the intensity of your thinking.
6. Ask yourself, “Is this something that I can problem solve?”
a. If the answer is yes, then actively problem solve the situation or make a plan for when you will problem solve.
7. If the situation cannot be problem solved, and the obsessional thinking will only lead you more into emotion mind, then practice willingness to turn your mind away from the obsessional thoughts.
a. You can use these skills to help move the mind away from obsessional thinking and deal with intense emotions:
ii. IMPROVE the moment skills
iv. Opposite action
8. On a scale of 1 to 10, re-rate the intensity of your thinking.
9. Repeat this protocol as many times as needed.